Friday, April 4, 2008

When does life begins in WoW pre or post 70?



I've been thinking about this topic a lot. When does life begin in WoW? Does it begin when you create your new character or does it begin when that character reaches level 70, or at least 60? Why am I thinking all of this now? Well because I finally got my main Warlock to 70 a few months ago, and now it has been almost like a midlife crisis for me in WoW.

I remember when I just started to play World of Warcraft a few years ago I leveled my character slowly, taking time to run and do all the quests. Sometimes I would run to other zones just to explore them. Needless to say, it took me forever to level. I also made tons of mistakes along the way, and would learn from those mistakes. This was before I discovered how to look up quests on Thottbot or effectively make gold in the game. But I was pretty exited to sit down and explore the WoW universe.



Fast forward to BC days. After taking a few breaks from the game, and also playing it very casually, I bout the BC expansion and dove in and got my character to level 58 and went to the Outland. Even though I did not beat any records for leveling, I did everything possible to get to level 70. OK, i did take a bit of time off to level Ruadia, my Alliance Shaman, but that's because I was getting my friend addicted to WoW so he can play with me, and I've succeeded at that.

So back to Moramor leveling to 70. It was a race. When I finally hit 70 I was kinda happy, but then also kinda depressed. What's next. I even wrote a hub, one of the first ones on this blog. Well I can get my Frozen Shadow set (boy was that one expensive), I can get my epic flying mount, I can get ....

Wait. Stop! Too much, too fast, too flavorless. WoW was supposed to be my escape from the real world, why does it feel like my regular life, NY City, constant pressure, constant running, constant inability to enjoy what you already have. I got tired of doing what is easy and convenient. I don't want to do dailies all the time, no matter how much money they make me, it is boring! So if life in WoW was supposed to start after 70, then I don't know if I want it. Maybe that is why I keep making alts.

So then life starts before 70, right? Well, in the last few months leveling to 70 I became a voracious reader of all the information about my class or other classes. What is the fastest way to level? What is the best gear? What's the best spec? So my learning went from exploring the WoW world, to just following other people's advice on how to avoid the majority of WoW and get to the end-game content.

Perhaps it is time to evaluate what I like and don't like about the game, and also begin to do things that will bring me more challenge and experience, rather then quick level and quick loot. I've said it before and I'll say it again. WoW many times mirrors our real selves. We have to be careful not to make it an exact replica. Here we have an opportunity to create an alternate, hopefully better personality. And that is why you've got to live and enjoy every day, and not only the day you finish Kara.


0 comments: