Thursday, May 29, 2008

Success in WoW - why keep playing



I've once heard a quote that said - Success is gradual progress towards a worthy ideal, or goal. In World of Warcraft, when you level you character, you leveling is that measured gradual progress to a goal. The goal can be the next level, level 58 to go hit Outland, or even level 70. Either way with every quest and every Mob you are progressing. Once you hit level 70, that stops, at least for now. So what measures your success now?



Well after you hit level 70, now it's time to go for gear, reputation, heroics, flying mount etc... Wait. Where should you start? Here is where things break down. There are too many things to pursue, and unless you begin to define specific goals you can get overwhelmed. That is what happened to me. I did a bit of everything, but didn't focus on anything specific. OK, one thing I did do was to max out my tailoring and create my Frozen Weave set. But besides that, not much else.

So I've stoped and began to think of things I want, be it gear or content, and how I can get it. For example - I would like to replace my Bringer of Death staff with a main hand and a nice off hand. I've looked around and noted that there is a couple of Heroic Badge rewards I can use for off hand, as well as a really nice main hand. One of the other things I am considering is how I will get the pieces. Badge Gear is easier to plan for, just get the badges. To plan for a drop is a different story. My plan is to get Badge gear for things that are too hard to get from dungeon/raid drops, and wait for easier drops to replace those pieces. I will mean while plug in the holes with other gear.

So the off hand I can have for 25 to 35 badges, and my choice are Fetish of the Primal Gods or the Orb of the Soul-Eater. Of which I think I'll go for the Fetish since I already have the required 35 Badges.

For my main hand, the really nice Scryer's Blade of Focus is a bit too expensive at 150 BoJ. I will probably save up for it or wait for a drop of Nathrezim Mindblade in Kara. Mean while I noticed that there are a few reputation one hnadlers that can serve me as a nice main hand piece with the BoJ offhand:

Stormcaller

Archmage's Guile

Continuum Blade

The Stormcaller being the best piece, but the hardes to get, since my rept with Thrallmar is not close to the Revered status required. The other two are more accessable, Continuum Blade being an Exalted reward from Keepers of Time and Archmage's Guile being an Exalted reward from the Shattered Sun. Both blades are very simmilar. However Continuum Blade has +hit, a stat I need since I'm not hitcaped. In the end I might get both, since I am a day's worth of dailies from Exalted with Shattered sun, and a dungeon run away from same rep with KoT. However, dailies might be easier to fit in since you don't have to hunt for a group.

Being focused on specific goals can help you do more specific things in WoW instead of getting bored and switching to your alts, who, let's face it, take the planning out of your hands.


0 comments: