Tuesday, June 3, 2008

WoW and you internet provider or Why Verizon Sux



This is not specifically WoW related, but it still touches on it a bit. I've been recently having some chellenges with my DSL provider - Verizon.  These challenges resulted in either me having rediculous lag or disconects in WoW or no connection at all.  I'm happy to say, I got RoadRunner yestaday, here is why, or as you can say why Verizon Sucks.  I'm putting all the rant behind the more line, so you don't have to read it if you don't want to.



  • When you call Verizon, it sends you to an outsourced Indian techs who tell you to reset your modem, and then schedule appointments, sometimes without your knowledge.  I had a tech guy call me because he was coming to my house, when he was supposed to come next week.  Oh, and if you ask for the supervisor when you call they disconnect you.

  • Then you get a call from a network tech who apologizes and says that they are upgrading hardware and too many people were on the same router, he will switch you and you will be fine.  That goes on for a bout three days.  Internet works fine when he calls ( early in the morning), but then in the evening when you need to play WoW it's messed up again and you are back to your Indian based friends.

  • They dispute the idea that the problem may be related to the three Verizon trucks doing something next to a big hall in the ground that causes you to be late for work for a bout a week.  Yet as soon as those trucks dissappier, internet works fine again.

  • You can also get a US based tech who for two hours will have you do all kinds of tests and configurations to then tell you that in the end it's all your fault.  It probably you old computer you have on which you got a virus probably from your video game and it ate away at your telephone cord.  When you confront him that if it was hardware related then it would not work all the time, why does it work fine in the morning.  He calls the network tech who once again fixes everything, until the next day.

  • Verizon keeps being surprised that you don't have FIOS, and why don't you switch to FIOS.  You begin suspecting they are doing all of this BS to get you to switch to their new pet project.  The only thing is its still unavailable in your neighborhood ( maybe those trucks a few weeks ago were working on putting it in, and screwing up the DSL for you to switch).  Plus, with such horrible customer service and no customer commitment why would i want to pay for installation and be switch for two years with Verizon.


So after all of this, I simply went to the local mall and visit the Time Warner Cable store.  Since I already have cable, they game me a mode, and said it will work as soon as I hooked it up.  Tonight, I hope I will get to raid without worrying about lag or disconnecting.  So if you considering Verizon for your internet or FIOS, be warned!


0 comments: