Tuesday, October 28, 2008

WoW players reflection on Warhammer online



I'd like to write a few words regarding my opinion of Warhammer online.  I've purchased the game last month, and played it for about two weeks.  There are many things I liked and some things I did not like.

Here are some things worth mentioning:

Public quests - this was a very cool idea.  You get into an area, most likely because another quest sent you there and suddenly you're killing of monsters is contributing the the overall quest goal.  Everyone in that area contributes to that goal, without needing to be in the group.  There are stages, where the last stage is usually a boss that needs to be put down by at least 5-7 players.  Everyone participating gets to roll for the loot, with the once who participated more will then get a bonus added to the roll before final numbers are determined.  This is alot of fun when there are alot of people in the area.  However, if there are no other people in that area during that time, or you're playing off peak hours, these quests are undoable by your self.



Achievements - something that wow picked up successfully now.  However, i think achievements are much more fun as a new player, rather then my 70 lock trying to catch up on achievements.  It was kind of cool to get an achievement that listed you as a victim of a Black Orc for example.

PVP battle grounds - the battle grounds were nothing special.  What was great is that you could cue for them from anywhere, at any time.  First you could only cue for the battle ground of the "zone", since there are three "zones" you would have to the other zone to cue for the battle ground there.  Withing weeks micro patches made cueing for any one of the three battle grounds available.  In additional every tier has it's own three battle grounds.  In addition, you get regular XP and loot drops for killing enemy players.  This is in addition to the PVP Xp.  The PVP Xp gives you access to purchase level appropriate gear for your character for very reasonable prices.

The gear purchase is very appropriate since each class has class only gear.  Most of the gear drops I got were not usable since they were never for my class.  Crafting professions are more of a hobby then really professions.  You must collaborate to get reagents since every crafting profession requires regents from at least 2 if not 3 gathering professions, and you can only have one gathering profession at a time.

World PVP is very fun as well.  There are many objectives around the world where you can run into and become PVP flagged and attack other players.  If you got to a pvp area or a PVP cue, you get raised to a minimum level which is 8 before level 12. ( however you don't get all the spells with the higher levels until you actually level there) All of PVP is also supported with regular Xp quests to help you gain levels even if you don't quest.

This brings me to questing.  After a few beginning quests to level 7 or 8, quests become very boring and an afterthought in my opinion.  Half the quests you pick up are for PVP.  So I leveled two characters to 10 and got bored with each around that time.

One of the thing that I was not happy with was the graphical performance and lag.  I could only play decently if I really down-turned all of my graphical options.  There were notes that there was a big patch cumming that would fix a lot of these performance issues.  I might give this game anouther try in a few months once all things would be hashed out.  I do have to say that I did begin to enjoy PVP in Warhammer.  I hope that WoW picks up the idea of cuing for the battle gorunds from anywhere.  I would definitelly do more battle grounds.


0 comments: