Monday, December 29, 2008

Getting My Lock ready to Raid at 80 part 1



Well I've hit level 80 over Christmas.  It was a great achievement.  Now I can begin raiding and doing heroics.  Some of my favorite things to do in WoW, especially with my guild.

First and the most important thing though is gear.  The guild may be ready to do Nax, but I may not be. My philosophy on gear is:


  • Get things that are not too valuable, since they will be replaced. Don't overspend on gear that may be replaced on the first drop in that heroic/first raid run.

  • Get gemmed and enchanted, but once again don't go overboard, you will replace things.  Go for the cheaper versions for starting gear.

  • Get as close to your Hit Cap as possible - with three points into talents into destro and affliction hit talents you need 365 Hit to be hitcapped.  Who cares how much spell power you have if your Dots are not landing where they supposed to and your shadowbolts are flying off to the side.

  • Balance your gear.  I don't believe glass cannon locks.  You're mana should be OK to cast a few things, your stamina should give you enough points to life tap occasionally and also to survive a tough fight or pull where healer may be overtaxed.  A lock is not a mage, and thus should not be bust damage then dead (no offense to our mage counterparts I hope).




I will start off with some easy items that I found so far and like.  Please note this is not an extensive list, and far from the "best list".  Any suggestions are helpful.  Also please not that this is the starting to raid gear set.  All of things here are coming from easy rep, quests and tailoring ( which is no longer BOP). Although I would not buy expensive tailoring pieces if you're not a tailor.

So this is also a cheat sheet for me of things to get -

Head:

  • Hat of Wintry Doom - I really like this piece.  It has a lot of spell hit which is great!  A meta socket and a red socket. Non meta socket can get a + spell gem, a + spell/hit gem or a +  hit gem.  The bonus is not too impressive for a lock so use any gem that is needed.

  • The Argent Skullcap - This piece is also nice.  I got it from a quest, and it's sitting in the bank.  No gem slots though, so less DPS.  But nice hit.

  • Mildred's Cowl - This is an OK piece from a quest.  No intellect, but good stamina, and a gem slot.  DPS is good and lots of Hit.

  • Frostsavage Cowl - Final piece.  Tailored and is OK for dps.  No sockets though and no hit, so last choice.


Chest:

  • Ebonweave Robe - This is the goal if you have tailoring.  Nice stats, great DPS and lots of Hit.

  • Robes of Lightning - This is a nice piece.  I am planning to get that before Ebonweave Robe, since Ebonweave takes some days to make.  Nice hit ans spell damage as well as stats.

  • Water-Drenched Robe - This drops in Heroic Violet hold and is a great piece if you're lucky to get it.

  • Frostsavage Robe - This is a nice alternative that's easy to get, but no spell hit.

  • Turtle-Minders Robe - This is a final piece I'm going to mention.  Easy rep from the Kalu'ak.  A lower spell power, but a nice hit rating.  May start you off in the right direction.


Legs:

There are a lot of great great legs that drop in heroics.  I'm will mention some of them last simply because it is more time consuming to run a heroic, then a non heroic.  Although if you need rep, heroics are the best way to gain it while you're wearing an appropriate tabard.  So first I'll list easier things to get:

  • Trousers of the Arakkoa - I got these in the regular Violet hold.  I think Violet hold overall is a great instance.  It's not too difficult to master, it's quick and great loot for casters drops there in both regular and heroic.  These are nice because of the DPS and a socket.  Also you can get these early.



Two hand weapon:

  • Chilly Slobberknocker - I like this staff.  I got it from doing the new "Ring of Blood" quest line available from the Amphitheater of Anguish in Zul'Drak.  This piece got 50 hit on it and nice spell power.  Enchant with a decent +spell power ( not the most expensive, remember you'll replace it), and it's ready for raiding.

  • Tower of the Infinite Mind - a bit weak on DPS, but got some hit on it.  Quest reward though.

  • Staff of Redeemed Souls - also a quest rewards.  Weak DPS, but got a socket for extra DPS or Hit.

  • Stave of Youthful Sorrow - OK DPS staff from a quest.


There are also plenty of staffs that drop from heroics.  However, none of them I see have any hit, so Chilly Slobberknocker is still my favorite out of the two handers.

You can also go for Grand Staff of Jordan if you got enough Stone Keeper Shards.  And this one will not go to waist its bind to account - pass it on! :)

Well enough for this post.  Next post we'll take care of other gear pieces.  I will aslo tell you the one hander that I'm working towards.  It's awsome! Check it out - Getting My Lock ready to Raid at 80 part 2


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

UuwzBM liryduwbsjvq, [url=http://sunfnotjrmnt.com/]sunfnotjrmnt[/url], [link=http://boxmkonfggoj.com/]boxmkonfggoj[/link], http://hdtvqdbqwgcy.com/

Anonymous said...

5NOuNe fopmsrxliagg, [url=http://jtwlgbgzlapq.com/]jtwlgbgzlapq[/url], [link=http://dppqmbfngbaq.com/]dppqmbfngbaq[/link], http://qkxfkxhfhoir.com/